Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The First semi-final

The semi-finals are the best place to see the oddball acts. Tonight brought us a Czech 'super-gypsy', Belgian Elvises, a Bulgarian Renaissance Fayre act, and heroic Bosnian drummers, among others.

I was disappointed in Malena; she seemed washed-out. The set, her costume and make-up, and even her voice all seemed overwhelmed by an over-lit set. However, that didn't stop her from being voted through to the final. (And, yes, I voted for her!)

Finland had an old-school Eurodisco song, and they made it through. Armenia was a successful dark horse winner; see the video and you'll know what I mean. I liked Turkey too, but then I'm a sucker for belly-dancers, and so were the voters. Finally, I should mention that Iceland also made it, making Scandinavia 3-for-3 on the night. Norway and Denmark are also hotly tipped for Thursday's show, so we may have a clean sweep for the Nordic countries.

No comments: