Friday, April 25, 2014

A home in Nova Scotia

A friend recently sent me a link to an off-the-grid house in Nova Scotia. The article is much longer than my usual links, but is really worth the read.

The house is off the grid by choice, and the design and living decisions driven by that choice are really interesting. Real-time feedback allows the residents to alter their behavior to meet the energy that is available. In fact, the owners host local schoolkids to see how the house works.

Another thing I liked in the article were the number of construction photos included. Usually, these kinds of pieces just show the finished house in a carefully-edited state of cleanliness. This time, I got a much better sense of what it was like to build and live in the house, which is what I'm after in the blog.

No comments: